Instructions for using this post: audio cassette (I'm a boomer, I know) of AC / DC, song Big gun, very high volume e way of biceps isolation.
Why Big gun? Because in bodybuilder English, i guns - cannons - are the arms. And why Big Gun it was originally on the film's soundtrack Last action hero, protagonist the Arnold that we all love.
Now that the circle is closed, let's pump.
Isolate the biceps in calisthenics
Beloved biceps. Often, justification for joining the gym (at least until you discover the deadlift).
Yet, if you work in the absence of burdens - momentarily, or by philosophical choice - biceps without overload is difficult to isolate.
Sure, you can rattle off chin up on chin up (perhaps in the variant towel, that in addition to the biceps also breaks your forearms) and close with minutes on minutes of chin up hold, but a percentage of backbones still happen to us in the mix.
One solution is the hercules curl.
What is the hercules curl and how to do it
The HC is a great exercise without overloading to isolate the biceps. It is performed on the TRX, specially (and carefully) fixed to a pull-up bar, to a door or - for those, like me, who love the outdoors - to the branch of a tree.
The execution is soon described:
- standing up, you put yourself “cutting edge” with respect to the TRX, more or less inclined with respect to your vertical
- you grab the handle of the TRX with the working arm (the other you can keep at your side)
- you pull yourself towards the handle, effectively performing a curl
- return to the starting position in a controlled manner
To give the difficulty of the exercise, and therefore the load, is the inclination of your body. The closer you get to the vertical, the less effort will be. Vice versa, increasing the inclination towards the floor will also increase the leverage, and therefore the effort.
A short card for biceps without overloads
We said: difficult to work the biceps in free body isolation.
Well try this:
- Chin up: rep and series depending on your level. Alternatively, you can work with inverted rows (australian pull ups) with a supinated grip. To do them, you just need a low bar, the TRX, or a fence. In any case, DO NOT run out of biceps, because you will do it with ...
- Chin up hold: Jump (or step on a bench to do so) to the final position of the chin up, and hold the position for time. Aim to increase your sleep time.
At this point, we can go to isolation. You have two alternatives:
- wear yourself out of push ups, in the variant that emphasizes the biceps: the reverse hand push up (hands do not point forward, but backward). Eye that is a pro variation, so start working with your knees on the ground to avoid hurting your wrists.
- do 3-5 long series of herculer curls on the TRX
We have activated a lot of discounts on Amazon: from 30 to 70% on all sports categories! Find everything on our dedicated channel ????