In recent weeks there has been much talk of the situation of upcoming Games 2021. Indeed, Eric Roza had already anticipated important changes for the competition.
In fact, we have learned that CrossFit® Inc. has sent an email to official media partners to communicate the new guidelines on the season of the Open 21 and the CrossFit® Games.
For next year, Open 21 will be held in three weeks, starting from 11 March and worldwide registrations will start on January 7, directly on the official website of the competition.
On the days of11, 18 and 25 March will WOD announced to do. To spice up this moment even more, Roza and her team have created a novelty: a gift card. Those who want to can challenge a friend or family member to participate in the Open, by purchasing the card at the time of registration.
The biggest Open in the history of Games
According to the company, the idea is that Open 21 is the most accessible in the history of CrossFit®.
There will be more flexible options, so that participants can complete the WODs from their own boxes or even from home in case of a new lockdown or for those who are still afraid to go out.
“This year has been difficult for everyone, so we want to start the 2021 season with an attractive and accessible Open that can meet the needs of every athlete in the world.
Whether you are surrounded by people in your playpen, practicing alone at home or listening to friends cheering through Zoom, the Open will energize and remind you why you are part of the CrossFit® community ", Dave said.
In addition to Dave, Roza also explains the reasons for the changes:
"Every part of this season has been designed to ensure that as many people as possible can experience the excitement, challenge and joy of the Open."
A smaller Open?
Eric Roza explained the reasons why his team chose to create a smaller Open than in other years:
“A smaller Open means simpler logistics for box owners; a start date later will allow the reopening of all the boxes; the options to carry out the WOD from home will guarantee access to all those who want to participate in the competition.
“The master, teenager and adaptive divisions welcome a larger group of participants. The continental semi-finals guarantee the presence at the Games of athletes from all over the world. I am thrilled to join hundreds of thousands of CrossFit® athletes from around the world in this iconic event. ”
What changes then?
- new quarter finals worldwide which will include about the 10% of the athletes of the Open who will compete online in their boxes.
- The return of the Affiliate Cup with teams competing around the world to advance to the quarter-finals, semi-finals and Games.
- In addition to the master and teenager categories, a new one adaptive category to ensure that all members of the CrossFit® community have a chance to compete and win.
- Ten semi-finals in person, hosted by CrossFit® partners in six continents, to ensure that at least one athlete from each continent qualifies for the Games. Each event will operate according to strict security protocols, including a plan B: an eventual online race (subject to local conditions and restrictions).
- Un qualifier "last chance" for athletes who just missed the semifinals.
- 2021 Games Finals in attendance in the week of 26 July for all athletes and qualified teams. It will take place in Madison, Wisconsin, with the alternative of doing it online if needed.
2021 Games Season Calendar
Last tip: we have activated a lot of discounts on Amazon: from 30 to 70% on all sports categories! It's all on our dedicated channel
SUBSCRIBE HERE TO THE TELEGRAM CHANNEL